• Tyrone Guthrie Center 1

    Back from the Tyrone Guthrie Center for a few days now. I've enclosed some photos of the cottage I was staying in on the grounds. Most of the organising of the songs took place with the stove blazing beside me. I have no idea what's wrong with the weather this year. I'm a snowman by nature and I can't find anywhere cold to work! Having a blazing fire is only wonderful when there is a contrast between inside and outside and I was wandering around the house in a tee-shirt.

    I'm recording in the Dance Studio which has a huge acoustic [completely unsuitable for final recordings but who cares?]. The object it to produce the whole album in it's roughest form as a single concept, moving on to a finer chop with added ideas - at this juncture I may take some advice from certain people if I feel it's needed. Final stage is to go into the studio. Ideally that would be a week for all guitars and vocals, maybe away in the bogs somewhere or even in Scandinavia where there might be some bloody snow!!

    Not a lot more to say at this stage. I'm throwing formally great ideas out the window daily. When I get back from Annaghmakerrig next time I should pretty much know what the final structure will be. Somewhere at the back of my mind I can hear the finished work. I had a dream a couple of nights ago in which I was sitting listening to the whole album with my friends and family, the whole thing! It was over an hour long and one track flowed into another. Clear as crystal!!! Don't remember any of it.
    One thing I'm sure of is that when this is finished I'm cleaning house. This is going to be the last time I look at these songs. Anything after this will be a new beginning. I think I deserve it.

    When I was recording in the very late early hours of the morning alone in the middle of a field in Monaghan, I heard tapping at the window several times. Every time I tried to locate the source I failed. I never heard it at any other time except after 3am. Normally I see ghosts everywhere and find it unsettling, but this time I felt that whatever visitor I was receiving at the extreme end of the night was benign and that the tapping was to tell me to get on with it.

    A final lovely thing was discovering a little drawer under the table in the cottage I was working in. Someone had left it there years ago and it had been read and put back by each new resident, something like "Hello! I was here trying to pluck words out of thin air and I understand how hard it is" It really helped.